Tuesday, May 11, 2010

FILharmoniKA 2010 Symphonic Concert Season

I’ve been asked a handful of times by some people how I managed to find out about concerts that I was able to watch. I usually answer that I do actively search for them. I usually read the papers, browse the net, get whatever flyers are available at the concerts and ask people involved to know what’s coming next. Unfortunately, not everyone is as driven like me to do all this work just to find out what’s going on in the classical music scene in here. So I’ve decided to devote the next blog entries to performances that are coming up soon so that you, the reader won’t have to search far and wide for them.

First up is the season lineup for FILharmoniKA, the orchestra conducted by Gerard Salonga. Their season has already started and I’ve already mentioned before that I missed the first concert, FILharmoniKA Symphonic Inaugural Gala. But I was able to catch their second offering for the season which was Dvořák's Cello Concerto featuring cellist Richard Bamping.

The remaining concerts for the season are:

Cecile Licad with FILharmoniKA*
Cecile Licad, piano
July 2 & 3, 2010

Game On!
You shoot, we score! FILharmoniKA plays music from the best video games ever!
October 16, 2010

FILharmoniKA: The Magnificent Seven
Bernstein, Morricone, Barry, Herrman, Elfman, Mancini, Williams.
Join FILharmoniKA as we pay tribute to seven of the world’s greatest film composers.
November 13, 2010

All concerts are held at the Philam Life Theater and they usually start at 8:00 PM.

*I’ve heard from Gerard Salonga himself that Licad would play Camille Saint-Saëns Piano Concerto No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 22 and Manuel de Falla’s Nights in the Gardens of Spain instead of Gershwin.

The Licad concert will always be a top draw and it doesn’t matter if she’s still playing Gershwin or something else. The last two concerts have a more mainstream audience appeal and I do get an impression that this orchestra really want to reach out to a wider audience hence the very accessible programme.

0 comments:

Post a Comment