Thursday, May 27, 2010

DC Comics 75th Anniversary

This entry might be a surprise to those who have come to expect the usual classical music stuff from me. Well, those who know me can attest that I am a huge comicbook fan. In fact, during my younger years, the weekly music lessons I’ve had were just a way for me to go to the comicbook store at the mall after the lesson. And years later as an adult, I still go to comicbook shops, attend comicbook events and of course, read comics although I must say that my tastes have changed.

So it’s no surprise that I found myself at the press conference of the DC Comics 75th Anniversary Celebration at Terry’s Selection at the Podium. The anniversary celebration will be the main highlight of the 9th edition of the Philippine Toys, Hobbies and Collectibles Convention or more popularly known as the ToyCon this coming June 19-20, 2010 at the SM Mega Mall Mega Trade Halls 2 and 3. I’ve attended past ToyCons before but this year’s edition looks to be promising because of the increased profile brought about by DC Comics' participation.

Media personality Anthony Pangilinan

The press conference, which had media personality Anthony Pangilinan hosting the affair, started with an audio visual presentation giving the media people present an idea as to what DC Comics is all about and also the extent that it has in penetrating other forms of media which is not bad for something that started out as a publisher for comicbooks. Then a slideshow was presented after showing what DC Comics has in store for the public for their anniversary celebration.

To start, they’ll be having an attraction called the DC Comics 75th Year Power Up! DC Super Heroes Challenge. The attraction will include a tyrolean traverse, two-line tight rope and a zip line. Usually set up outdoors, this activity camp will be held indoors instead at the SM Mega Mall Event Center which I think is where the old ice skating rink used to be. And passes for this attraction will be available when one purchases P500 worth of DC Comics licensed products at SM Department stores. I’d like to try this one so I have about three weeks to prepare myself physically for this challenge.

There’s also the usual stuff that one normally sees at the ToyCon like the display of toy collections and for this year, there will be the DC Comics Mini Museum which will be located at the Event Center as well. The contests at the ToyCon will have a DC Comics theme obviously and people are encouraged to wear costumes featuring DC characters as there will be an attempt to make it into the Guinness Book of World Records for the most number of people in superhero costumes in one location. Also, there will be a number of exhibitors selling stuff like toys, comics and other collectibles. And local comicbook artists will be in attendance as well and they always accommodate autograph seekers during these kinds of events. Lastly, there will be a DC Comics booth that will sell licensed merchandise and I expect that to be one of the main attractions at the ToyCon.

For the hardcore comics enthusiast, the participation of DC Comics may be a bit of a let down since the focus is more on the licensed merchandise rather than the actual comics itself. But I’m confident that the casual comic fan and those who are just curious will be delighted with the activities lined up. And I also do think that the limited edition merchandise commemorating the anniversary will be a huge success as well. The anniversary shirts worn by the organizers of the press conference got a lot of positive feedback especially from the hardcore comic fans present.

0 comments:

Post a Comment