Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chopin Manille 2010 Bicentenaire Rudolf Golez

I’ve always liked Frédéric Chopin. His works not only have exceptional beauty but they also hold a special place in my life. A lot of his works have forever been associated with special moments in my life. And before my grandmother passed away, her afternoon naps were accompanied by Chopin’s music since that was when I usually practiced the piano. And the place where she had her naps was adjacent to the room where the piano is. But I had to stick to playing just Nocturnes since I would’ve disturbed her slumber if I played a Scherzo for example.

When I found out about the Chopin Manille 2010 Bicentenaire series of concerts at the Philamlife Auditorium, I would’ve been extremely excited under normal circumstances. But this was when my family and I were still in mourning. And as I’ve said many times before, I summon the strength and the courage to face the difficulties in life through music. So I knew that I need to watch this especially since this is Chopin. I believe that there’s no better way for me to get back on track again than a night of Chopin’s music.

The first concert of the series featured pianist Rudolf Golez and expected, he had an all Chopin programme. Before starting his first piece, he talked a bit about Chopin and a little background of the works that he was about to play. I always liked this format especially with solo/chamber performances. It makes the concert more intimate and relaxed. And it didn’t hurt the Golez managed to put in some humor into it as well making the night less stiff and more enjoyable to watch.

He started with the Twelve Etudes, Op. 10. I’ve already listened to dozens of recordings of these etudes. I’ve also seen quite a number of videos online performing these etudes. But nothing beats seeing them played in a concert hall by a competent pianist. Golez interpreted some of the etudes in a very interesting manner. Some were played the way I would play them, well if I could play them. And some were played quite differently from what I would prefer but it was nonetheless still very interesting. This is what I like most about watching a piano concert with a very familiar programme. I may know the piece very well but there’s always room for pleasant surprises.

The concert took a small break after the etudes and Golez resumed with the Four Mazurkas, Op. 33. Despite being a Chopin fan, this set of pieces aren’t one of my favorites. But I decided to just sit back, listen and prepare for what’s next to come. Luckily, these Mazurkas are just short pieces so I didn’t have to wait that long.

The next piece played was Ballade No. 1 in G minor, Op. 23 which is one of my favorites. I am more drawn to the passionate, dramatic and melancholic music of Chopin than for the happy sounding ones. And this was when I started to get engrossed with the performance. And I guess the audience also got mesmerized because the applause got noticeably louder after this piece.

There was a change of pace for the next piece which was Tarantelle in A flat, Op. 43. Like the Mazurkas, this sounded a bit too happy for my taste. So I had nothing else to do but to try to enjoy this piece. And just like the Mazurkas, this wasn’t that long as well.

So after a relatively happy tune, Barcarolle in F sharp major, Op. 60 was played and after a not so favorite Chopin piece, the concert went back to something that I like more. It’s not very often that I get to experience these pieces played live by accomplished pianists so I knew that I had to take everything in.

The then came concert to an end with the final piece planned for the night: Andante spianato and Grand Polonaise for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 22. But Golez played it without an orchestra. I was a bit thrown off by this version since I’m more used to hearing a recording of that piece with an orchestra. It was a bit funny when I realized that my mind was imagining the orchestra playing along. This was truly a showcase piece and there were indeed many fireworks like what Golez said before starting to play. The audience was impressed by the fireworks as many stood up after he finished playing the final note.

For an encore, Golez got a bit cheeky by squeezing in a Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart piece on what was supposed to be a night of Chopin. The audience forgave him and let him play Rondo No. 1 in D Major, K. 485. Yes, I did forgive him as well and let him play this very happy sounding piece of music since he has more than satisfied my Chopin craving for the night.

He then tried to make amends for this inclusion by playing what he claimed to be everybody’s favorite: Fantaise-Impromptu in C sharp minor, Op. 66. It’s my turn to be cheeky since Golez got it wrong. This piece isn’t my favorite. I’ll tell what my favorite Chopin piece is if and when it is played in the subsequent concerts of this series.

Pianist Rudolf Golez

0 comments:

Post a Comment