Wednesday, September 15, 2010

1st National Orchestra Festival 2010

Those who have stumbled upon this blog and have read some entries (thank you very much) would easily guess that I am into classical music big time. And one of the most exciting classical music concerts for me to watch are orchestra performances. If I had the time and money I would watch them all but although it's a lot easier for me and for most people to find the time, it's usually the money for tickets that is the problem.

So when it was announced that there would be the 1st National Orchestra Festival 2010 at the CCP which boasts of 7 orchestras (Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra [PPO], Manila Symphony Orchestra [MSO] , FILharmoniKA, Uinversity of Sto. Tomas Symphony Orchestra [USTSO], University of the Philippines Orchestra, Predis Chamber Orchestra and Angono Chamber Orchestra [AnChOr] performing from September 21-25, it was indeed a dream come true for me and probably every other lover of orchestral music out there. And an added feature for this festival is the formation of the Festival Orchestra which is made up of members from the various orchestras participating. And I've read somewhere that this Festival Orchestra will be massive with other 100 members.

So, an overdose of orchestral music is very much welcome and I would be extremely disappointed if ever I fail to catch this event tagged as "Magnitude 7 on the Orchestra Scale". I've seen all of these orchestras perform live before and I do make it a point to support their every performance as I believe that culture and the arts is very important in nourishing the soul.

A friend of mine and also an avid supporter of cultural events, Arvin Ello, is giving away free tickets for this festival. Of course I would want to win the tickets since that would mean savings on my part but I also want you, the humble reader to have a chance to experience the joy of watching an orchestra perform live.

He has simple rules and not only will I state my answers here, but I will suggest possible answers for you in case you're still on the fence about this festival.

Why should I win?

Well, I am an avid supporter of classical music performances and anything to make things easier for me to watch them is a definite plus.

Why should you win?

If you are still hesitant about watching shows like this because you think that it's elitist and quite expensive, then problem is solved if you win tickets.

Why would I like to watch?

I could go on and on about my reasons for wanting to watch. But one of the main reasons why I like to watch something like this is because not only it entertains me, but it also gives me inspiration and motivation to face the harsh reality of life. Somehow, after watching a performance, I do get additional strength to face whatever problems I may have had at the time.

Why would you like to watch?

I don't know about your reasons but even plain curiosity or if you had watching a classical concert on your to do list before you die is good enough reason to watch! Different people have different reasons for watching and that's what makes it more exciting since you will also get the chance to see the people in the audience hanging out at the lobby during intermission or after the concert. And who knows, you might even see some celebrities in attendance.

Who would I invite?

I've been very active in promoting cultural events to a group of recreational musicians. They don't embark on a career in music but they pursue it as a hobby. And it has been my pleasure bringing them to concerts and letting them experience how awesome the feeling is after seeing a great performance. I would gladly invite any of them who is available to watch.

Who would you invite?

Again, this has many answers! It could be your special someone, your spouse, your parent, your child, your friend. Or if you are new to events like these, bring someone who is also new since it's less intimidating to explore new things when you have a companion with you sharing the same experience.

Which set do I prefer?

If I have my own way, I'd watch all performances! But the opening concert which is part of Set A is a big one so I guess that would be my choice if left to only one decision.

Which set do you prefer?

Look at your schedule for that week and let that guide you on your decision. But if you can make it on a Tuesday night, then go for the opening concert as well. If you can only manage on a weekend, then go for the closing concert.

See, in my desire to promote this event to a lot of people I even helped my possible competition for this contest. Yes, I do want to snag free tickets as well.

Here is the schedule and the programme of the festival:

September 21

Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra
Olivier Ochanine, conductor

Overture to "Colas Breugnon" by Dmitri Kabalevsky
The Swan of Tuonela by Jean Sibelius
Symphony No. 40 in G minor by W.A. Mozart


Festival Orchestra
Olivier Ochanine, Conductor

Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64 by P. Tchaikovsky

September 22

PREDIS Chamber Orchestra
Jeffrey Solares, conductor
Micah Pecson, violin
Jeline Oliva, violin

Divertimiento in D major, K. 136 by W.A. Mozart
Concerto Grosso in A minor, RV 522 by Antonio Vivaldi
Holberg Suite, Op. 40 from "Holberg's Time" by Edvard Grieg
Romanian Dances by Bela Bartok


Manila Symphony Orchestra
Arturo Molina, conductor

Luzviminda Overture by Restie Umali
The Tempest by Peter Tchaikovsky
The Firebird Suite (Version 1919) by Igor Stravinsky

September 23

University of Santo Tomas Symphony Orchestra
Hermigildo Ranera, conductor
Najib Ismail, piano

Symphony for Brass and Percussion by Alfred Reed
Piano Concerto No. 6 in B flat major, K. 238 by W. A. Mozart
Overture to "Reinzi" by Richard Wagner


FILharmoniKA
Gerard Salonga conductor

Terry's Theme from "Limelight" by Charlie Chaplin arr. by Gerard Salonga
Night on Bald Mountain (original 1867 version) by Modest Mussorgsky
Yerma by Francisco Feliciano
Symphonic Dances from "West Side Story" by Leonard Bernstein


Herminigildo Ranera, conductor
Finlandia, Op. 26 by Jean Sibelius

Gerard Salonga, conductor
Overture to Russian and Ludmilla by Mikhail Glinka

September 24

Angono Chamber Orchestra
Agripino Diestro, conductor
Ivan Mihkail Ramos, violin
Dr. Santiago G. Yangco, flute

Overture to Messiah by George Frideric Handel
Petersburgian Baroque by Zhanna Metallidi
Concerto in A minor for Violin and Orchestra RV 356 by Antonio Vivaldi
Air, Suite No. 3 in D Major, BVW 1068 by J.S. Bach
Mga Katutubong Awitin by Lucio San Pedro
Katakataka: Theme and Variation for Flute and Orchestra by Santiago S. Suarez
Antiche Danze Ed Arie Per Liuto (III Suite) by Ottorino Resphigi
Jubilate March Heroic by Lucio San Pedro, orchestration by Agripino Diestro


University of the Philippines Symphony Orchestra
Edna Marcil Martinez, conductor

Overture to The Impresario, K. 486 by W. A. Mozart
Serenade for Strings in C major, Op. 48 by Peter Tchaikovsky
Balitaw sa Bukid by Rosendo Santos
Mindanao Sketches by Antonio Buenaventura

September 25
Festival Orchestra

Gerard Salonga, conductor
Three Dance Episodes from "On the Town" by Leonard Bernstein

Hermenigildo Ranera, conductor
Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral from "Lohengrin" by Richard Wagner

Edna Marcil Martinez, conductor
Academic Festival Overture by Johannes Brahms

Olivier Ochanine, conductor
"Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" by Ralph Vaughan Williams
Selected Movements from Gayane Ballet Suite by Aram Khachaturian

Here are the ticket prices:

Ticket Prices for Opening and Closing Concerts (Sep 21 & 25)

Orchestra Center P1,000
Orchestra Sides P800
Balcony I P600
Balcony II P200

Ticket Prices for Daily Concerts (Sep 22-24)

Orchestra Center P700
Orchestra Sides P500
Balcony I P300
Balcony II P200

Festival Passes (access to all the concerts)

Orchestra Center P3,400
Orchestra Sides P2,600
Balcony I P1,800

20% discount Senior Citizens
50% discount Students

For tickets, please call the CCP Box Office at tel. nos. 832-1125 local 1409 and direct line 832-3704.

1 comments:

Arvin Ello said...

Wow! Thanks Adrian for this wonderful long post! The reality is, many think that orchestra performances are a bore. But when they give themselves a chance to witness it, that's the time they change their perceptions. The problem now is that they don't give themselves an opportunity to see one.

Post a Comment