Thursday, August 19, 2010

Baroque Overdose

When I saw the title of this show which is part of the Sounds of August series that was held at the Abelardo Hall Auditorium at the UP Campus in Diliman, I somehow braced myself for something that might test my limits. I am not the biggest fan of Baroque music and I didn't know how much of it I could take. So I wasn't sure if I could survive an overdose of this kind of music but there were a couple of things that caught my interest so I decided to check this out. Unfortunately, things didn't start well for me since the weather was really bad going to the venue.

So it's up to this Baroque music to brighten up my mood which was quite a monumental task. The night started with a Sonata for Oboe and Basso Continuo by J.B. Roilette performed by Franz Ramirez on the oboe with Alejandro Consolacion on the Basso Continuo. If memory serves me correctly, the Basso consisted of an organ and a cellist for this number. This was quite a short sonata which is normal for music in this era.

But despite this short sonata, the whole show was quite long since following this number was tenor, Sheen Leem Sanchez singing Athalia by George Frideric Handel, Domine Deus by Antonio Vivaldi and Strike the Viol by Henry Purcell. And after this, it was soprano Sherla Najera's turn with Let the Bright Seraphim Come unto Him and Rejoice Greatly, Oh Daughter of Zion by Handel. Before the show started, it was announced that there would be changes in the programme order but I wasn't able to take note what they were since I wouldn't even notice since I wasn't really familiar with all these Baroque pieces.

I think that I've had my Baroque endurance limit tested when this was over but there was still the second half of the programme. Clark Louise Crisostomo on the trumpet performed Te Deum by Charpentier and again, it was all over before I knew it. Next was baritone Jonaf del Fiero with Ich Habe Genug by Johann Sebastian Bach. And then came next one of the reasons why I came to watch: counter tenor Mark Anthony Carpio. He sang a bunch of Vivaldi's works namely Nissi Dominus, Gloria Patri, Et in Secula Seculuria and Amen. I haven't seen nor heard a counter tenor sing live before (only in videos) and this one I really had to see.

Finally, the last piece of the night was Handel's Organ Concerto in F Major, HWV 292, Op. 4 No. 4 featuring organist Alejandro Consolacion who was quite busy accompanying the other performers throughout the evening. And for this number, he had with him the Festival Chamber Ensemble and also the four vocalists who performed earlier. It was quite interesting to note that the baritone sang the bass part and the counter tenor doing the alto during this concerto.

It was indeed a long performance and despite some of the pieces being short it was still a long night for me. It was too much Baroque for me that the Romantic side of me was already rebelling. But I was glad to be able to watch since it was still a learning experience for me musically.

0 comments:

Post a Comment