Sunday, June 20, 2010

9th Philippine Toys, Hobbies and Collectibles Convention 2010


Oh dear, I should've been used to it by now but I was still quite unnerved by all the frenzy that happened at the Megatrade Halls 2 & 3 during the 9th Philippine Toys, Hobbies and Collectibles Convention. I came there with no clear agenda in mind. I just geared myself to experience the craziness and the chaos, but still fun, that is expected from this event which is more popularly known as the Toy Con.

I've mentioned this before, but this year's edition of Toy Con also featured the 75th Anniversary Celebration of DC Comics. And for this, they had set up the DC Comics 75th Power Up! DC Super Heroes Challenge at the Event Center where the ice skating rink used to be. I checked this out first before heading towards the upper floors where the Megatrade Halls were. And I was quite disappointed that my plan to take this challenge was dashed by the fact that only kids took part in it. I'm not sure if adults like me were allowed (I should've asked that question during the press briefing) but I got discouraged since if I screwed up in this adventure course, it would be extremely embarrassing for me.

I also lost the guts to ask if my pass could somehow enable me to just have a photo taken at the photobooth. But I chickened out. So much for stepping up to the challenge and finding the hero in me.

So I finally went upstairs to see the main action of the Toy Con. And it was indeed a frenzy. Getting inside proved to be a test of patience since I had to wait in line although it was just for a few minutes. Inside the convention hall were the usual stuff one sees at this event: numerous merchants selling toys, comics, bootlegged anime DVD's, etc. And I learned to avoid the booth where the insanely popular sisters Alodia and Ashley Gosengfiao were located since people mobbed them.

I've also learned that in these events, well laid plans often do not happen: I completely missed seeing the person whom I was expecting to meet. And a welcome surprise usually occurs like when I saw a Shredder toy that my brother has been wanting for years. I didn't buy anything for myself but I bought my brother that toy.

I had fun having my photos taken at the photobooth of a couple of sponsor booths there and those proved to be a huge hit since a lot of people did the same. I won't be surprised if photobooths would be a staple at events like these in the future.

Speaking of photos, I had a camera with me but it was hard to take photos with all the activities happening around. So please bear with the few photos I took and my equally bad photography skills.


The DC 75th Power Up! DC Super Heroes Challenge Course

0 comments:

Post a Comment